Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cupcake Wars!! ...with myself

A couple weeks ago, I was at TJ Maxx and I wandered into the home/kitchen section just to take a peek (or so I thought). I ended up leaving with a cupcake pan, among other things, but the cupcake pan is the culprit here. I ended up spending my Sunday afternoon-to-night baking cupcakes. Lots and lots of cupcakes. Well, at least it seemed like a lot to me (24), given that I'm a homemade cupcake newbie. I wanted to be ambitious and planned to make vanilla cupcakes with a jasmine whipped cream filling and topped with basil buttercream...AND chocolate cupcakes filled with peanut butter cream and topped with cream cheese frosting. Well, I made bits and pieces of the recipe. Let's begin:

Oh by the way, I was so glued to the recipe directions, since I had no clue what was supposed to go into these cupcakes, that I forgot to take pictures of my ingredients and steps along the way. OOPS!

I <3 my KitchenAid mixer

My KitchenAid &lt;3

It starts with the butter...

It starts with butter

...and then a whole bunch of steps...and then it goes into the oven!

Into the oven

Some cleaning since I only have one mixer so that I can start on the next "step"

Cleaning

Chocolate! Tip: add a bit of ground coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor!

Chocolate Cupcakes!

Vanilla's out of the oven and just hanging around

Mmmm, still not ready though

All ready to be dressed

The chocolate cupcakes went into the oven at some point too and I work on the whipped cream filling for the vanilla cupcakes. No jasmine flowers were blooming on our plant, so I settled for some strawberry jam with real strawberries in it

Whipped cream filling

DING!

Chocolate's done!

Did you know that cupcakes have cores too? :)

Cupcake cores

All done!

Final Result!

There was no peanut butter and I didn't like the cream cheese frosting...but it still doesn't give me an excuse to not photograph the choco cupcakes.

Anyway, I'll try to do next better next time at documenting! It was a bit difficult because my hands were constantly sticky, sugary, floury, or oily and I was already washing my hands like a million times in between things.

Either way, the cupcakes were absolutely delicious!! I brought them into work and everyone really liked them, at least that's what I was told..! :)

If you'd like the recipes, post a comment below!

4 comments:

  1. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, how did you get the frosting to be so pretty? do you have a squeezer thingie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. my squeezer thingie was a ziploc bag with the corner chopped off! in hindsight i should have used a heftier ziploc rather than a sandwich baggie. i <3 buttercream frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww remember how we did that for our annual gingerbread house frosting? way to save monies :)

    i want to start blogging again too, but i will only allow certain people to read it. like YOU!

    btw, i had RSS subscribed to your 13:8 blog for the longest time, and was upset that you did not update it very frequently/regularly. so now i that i've discovered this OTHER blog of yours, i can't figure out how to RSS feed-it. wah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm looks yummy.
    btw, i like the new logo! like like like :)

    ReplyDelete